Woodslane Online Catalogues
- The memoir of a courageous woman on a quest to find love and places to belong. Accidental Aid Worker is the travel memoir of the adventurous Sue Liu who stumbles into voluntary aid work in the wake of the 2004 tsunami during the civil war conflict in Sri Lanka.
She teams up with a tour guide, a Catholic priest and a community of refugees and so begins a ten-year obsession with helping people in need. Through tragic events, Sue meets the larger than life Geraldine Cox and spreads her generosity to help orphaned children in Cambodia.
This is a moving and real account of one woman's drive to survive and support others, while masking battles of her own. Along the way, Sue loses her grip on life and embarks on a harrowing journey through mid-life crisis, disconnection and chronic depression. She is forced to face inescapable truths about herself in order to navigate her way to the woman she really wants to be.
Sue shares her most vulnerable moments with warmth and bare honesty, alongside epic travel adventures and quirky tales involving; priests, nuns, a rabbi, terrorist attacks, natural disasters, a tuktuk accident, refugees, orphaned children, surgeries, fishing for marlin and at times, spontaneous singing and dancing with children. This heartwarming and thought-provoking story will make you laugh, bring you to tears, inspire a thirst for travel, a yearning to give back and pause for thought about what really makes us all tick. This is the tale of a woman who bravely opens doors and thus has astounding adventures and enlightenments. All in the context of what can only be called an adventure story and an extraordinary life. – Thomas Keneally
- Sue lives in Annandale, Sydney, Australia with her enormous brown Burmese cat, Moet. She's 'Chiefette' of her own businesses and marketing consultancy, Zulu Communications, a writer, author and self-publishing consultant.
A passionate advocate of community and humanitarian focused work, Sue leads people to opportunities to help connect and support people in need. For fun she loves to travel, explore, scuba dive, experience life and celebrate all things creative. Sue is an artistic little soul and a fanatic feline lover, who finds solace in the garden. Accidental Aid Worker is Sue's first book. She is currently writing the sequel, a book of travel adventures and plans for a few more quirky tales that may feature Moet the brown Burmese.
- * The story of Accidental Aid Worker is a true one and touches on universal and resonant themes about the power of humanity and community and the vulnerabilities that we all suffer as people in the wake of loss and disconnection. The topics covered affect people of all ages differently, but are inevitable and integral to our lives – the need for inclusion and purpose. My story, delivered in my book and talk are powerful, true to life experiences particularly those who seek to contribute to society and community, meaningfully.
* Accidental Aid Worker has received acclaim and accolades from literary legends and leaders, including Tom Keneally, Di Morrissey, The Honourable Professor Dame Marie Bashir and the State Library of NSW. Professor Bashir launched the 3rd reprint of the book and her words, as well as Tom Keneally’s, are on the unique cover!
* Good reads profile established, reader and industry reviews, developed a workshop for State Library of NSW on author brand) and speaking tour (30 talks already and more in 2019)
* My website has a wealth of information and here are direct links to:
* About me: http://accidentalaidworker.com.au/about-this-book/about-sue/
* Speaking - http://accidentalaidworker.com.au/speaking-tour/
* Reviews from readers http://accidentalaidworker.com.au/comments-from-readers/
* Testimonials about the author talk http://accidentalaidworker.com.au/speaking-tour/talk-testimonials/
* Media http://accidentalaidworker.com.au/mediagalleries/
* Writing and Self-publishing workshop http://accidentalaidworker.com.au/publishing-workshops/ - this was requested for development by State Library of NSW for the indyreads pilot!
* Paperback version has full colour inside cover with photographs. 3rd reprint edition has Thomas Keneally quote on front cover and Dame Professor Marie Bashir quote on back cover. This edition is not currently available retail. All books can come with a bookmark inside.
* Author talks and workshops -Sydney, in 2019. Marketing to Libraries has commenced and its anticipated that from May onward, there will be talks and publicity via the below avenues on social media, in Facebook groups (internationally), organiser’s social media and channels and local press. Please see the website about a growing schedule of author talks and workshops.
* I will continue to promote and network, as I start an 18-month campaign to increase my following, in preparation for a new book at the end of 2020. I regularly meet high-profile people and authors who have received the book, and some are becoming part of my network and advocating for me (Tom Keneally, Di Morrisey, Margaret Keneally)
* Publicity continues on all social media platforms including the following:
* Website, Newsletter and Blog: www.accidentalaidworker.com.au https://www.facebook.com/sueliuauthor/
* Instagram: Zuluchiefette #accidentalaidworker
* Twitter: @zulu2you
Google Preview content