Training for War encapsulates one hundred years
of the history of Headquarters 1st Division and the
Deployable Joint Force Headquarters. During that
time the Headquarters has commanded subordinate
formations and units; soldiers; and assets. They all
have a place in this story as do many distinguished
Australians who have had a close association with
the Division, either commanding it or holding senior
positions there. This study looks at the organisation’s
high water mark in World War One as well as quieter times between the world wars, before the tempo picks up
again in the period closer to our own time. As with any military formation it cannot be studied in isolation from
politics and policy and so reference is made to wider events in the Australian political and Defence environment.
For those wanting new insights into one of the Australian Army’s most historic divisions this work should satisfy
First comprehensive work of the history of
Headquarters 1st Division.
• 100 years of History covered.
• Full colour supported by numerous maps, tables
• National PR campaign targeting Australia’s leading
• Military – History Magazines and Journals – physical
• Advertised in trade publications – InCite Magazine,
Good Reading and B+P Magazine.
• Mainstream Capital City newspaper book reviews
and ABC local and national radio for author