Stripes in the Forest
The Story of the Last Wild Thylacine
- ISBN-13: 9781925275711
BIG SKY PUBLISHING
Imprint: BIG SKY PUBLISHING
- Author: Darlison, Aleesah
- Price: AUD 14.99
- Stock: 92 in stock
- Availability: Order will be despatched as soon as possible.
- Local release date: 05/05/2016
- Format: Paperback (260mm X 230mm) 32 pages Weight: 170g
- Categories: Marsupials & monotremes [PSVW71]Endangered species & extinction of species [RNKH1]Wildlife (Children's / Teenage) [YNNR]
- I am the last of my kind. This I know. Once, we roamed the land. We owned the land. We called it Home. But strange creatures came to take it from us...My story matters. I am the last living female Tasmanian Tiger. Stripes in the Forest by award-winning author, Aleesah Darlison, is the story of an iconic species lost. Told from the perspective of the last wild, female thylacine, it provides readers with an insight into the rare beauty and uniqueness of these amazing animals and explains their fight for survival and provides important lessons for future generations. An emotive and moving story, children will connect with the solitary, stoic and courageous female thylacine who does all she can to protect her young - just as a human mother would do. The story takes readers to a place in the past, but also offers a twist that projects them into the future and offers a glimmer of hope for survival of a creature some believe may still exist. Parents and their children will enjoy the rich, vivid and detailed illustrations of the Tasmanian forests and landscapes and the magnificent thylacine as depicted by illustrator and artist, Shane McGrath. Stripes in the Forest, will generate rich discussion and raise important questions for young minds. This powerful and poignant story offers hope for threatened species and shows how, together, we can make a difference.
Aleesah Darlison is a multi-published, award-winning Australian author. She has written over thirty picture
books and novels for boys and girls of all ages. Her much-loved stories promote the concepts of sustainability,
environmental awareness, courage, understanding, anti-bullying, love, self-belief, friendship and teamwork.
Aleesah’s book Our Class Tiger was joint winner of the 2015 Environment Award Winner for Children’s
• 7 September 2016, National Threatened Species Day
commemorates the 80th anniversary of the death of the last
known (captive) thylacine.
• The school curriculum incorporates important activities
around the highly emotive issue of threatened species, and
specifically includes the thylacine.
• Includes factual information about thylacines. Teacher’s
Notes are available.
• The author’s picture books have previously won and been
shortlisted for the Environment Award for Children’s
Literature in 2015 and 2012.
• This is a collector’s edition / keepsake in this the 80th
- Google Preview content