My Happy Sad Mummy is an engaging and sensitive picture book that fills a major gap in explaining to a young child the impact on a parent of a major mental illness such as bipolar disorder. In November 2016, My Happy Sad Mummy won the Australian Association of Family Therapy Twenty-ninth Annual Awards for children’s picture books published in 2015. It is on the 2017 NSW Premier’s Reading Challenge list. This second edition contains four pages of teachers/parents notes.
A published children’s author since 2006 and having sold over 30,000 copies of her books worldwide, Michelle Vasiliu’s first picture book is also the first in a series of books aimed at teaching children about mental illness.
* Won the Australian Association of Family Therapy annual book award in 2016.
* Bipolar disorder affects 1-2% of the population, and young parents in particular.
* Portrays the emotional rollercoaster of this illness as a young child might perceive it.
* Press releases to major metropolitan newspapers (focus on parenting with mental illness.
* Targeting reviews with major book reviewers.