Once Upon a Time in Shaolin
The Untold Story of Wu-Tang Clan's Million Dollar Secret Album, the Deva
- ISBN-13: 9781909762657
- Publisher/Imprint: JACARANDA
- Author: Bozorgmehr, Cyrus
- Price: AUD 27.99
- Stock: 0 in stock
- Availability: This book is temporarily out of stock, order will be despatched as soon as fresh stock is received.
- Local release date: 13/12/2017
- Format: Paperback (216mm X 138mm) 232 pages Weight: 240g
- Categories: Rap & Hip-Hop [AVGR]Individual composers & musicians, specific bands [AVH]Music industry [KNTF]USA [1KBB]
Take a kid with a dream. A legendary hip hop group. 6 years of secret recordings. A casing worthy of a king. A single artifact. Hallowed establishment institutions. An iconoclastic auction house. The worlds foremost museum of modern art. A bidding war. Endless crises of conscience. An angry mob. A furious beef. A sale. A villain of Lex Luthor-like proportions. Bill Murray. The FBI. The internet gone wild. In 2007, the innovative Wu-Tang producer, Cilvaringz, feeling that digital downloads were threatening the music industry, took an incendiary idea to his mentor hip hop legend, RZA: create a unique physical copy of a secret Wu-Tang album, to be encased in silver and sold through auction as a work of contemporary art. As such, it could never be commercialised - or pirated. The plan raised a number of complex questions: Would selling one album for millions be the ultimate betrayal of rap music? Would hip hop fans support the project, even if it meant they could never buy the album? And could anyone justify the ultimate sale of the album to despised pharmaceutical mogul Martin Shkreli?
CYRUS BOZORGMEHR was the senior adviser on the Once Upon a
Time in Shaolin project and worked alongside Wu-Tang Clans RZA and
producer Cilvaringz. Born in England, he now lives in Marrakech,
Documenting the untold story behind one of the most controversial,
innovative album releases in modern music history
• For fans of the Wu-Tang Clan, hip-hop and rap music, and all those
interested in the music industry and digital business
• A gift to music bloggers and music journalists and review editors – this
book is a media-magnet.
• Supported by the Wu-Tang Clan members – no greater stamp of approval
- Google Preview content