Woodslane 2020 Travel and Outdoor Catalogue
How to do Marketing
A comprehensive guide for small businesses - Regional Australia Edition
- These days, successful small business marketing requires us to be brave. If your small business is based in a regional area, you compete with your local competition as well as the rest of the world. Small business has the power to drive and sustain regional development in Australia. We employ local people, we support local charities, we contribute to building sustainable local economies that help our nation thrive. We are ambitious and capable and together we can collaborate to achieve a common goal that is bigger than us.
This may be stating the obvious but operating a business in a regional town is very different to running one in a metro city. And for this reason, your approach to marketing needs to be different as well. So how can your business compete?
Taking a brave approach to your marketing strategy and execution will help position your small business for success. It will differentiate your business in competitive markets. It will help build and create a strong and sustainable brand. It will drive the right customers in your direction and keep them coming back.
Jane Hillsdon, Founder and Managing Director of boutique regional marketing agency; Dragonfly Marketing has worked with hundreds of small businesses to help them navigate the ever-changing world of marketing. In How to do Marketing, Jane provides a comprehensive and easy-to-follow guide for small business owners who want to learn brave, nimble and clever marketing solutions that leverage out-of-the-box thinking, including:
• working out your marketing goals and matching them to your business goals
• choosing the right media channels for your business
• getting great results on a limited budget
• making sure you are targeting the right people
• monitoring the results of your marketing
• getting help if you need it
• taking advantage of the many opportunities in regional areas.
Jane shows that creative and effective marketing doesn't have to come with a hefty price tag. In fact, she shows you that getting the greatest bang for your marketing buck is simply a matter of creating a sound marketing strategy that is based around your business objectives and focuses wholeheartedly on your customer.
The marketing tactics suggested in How to do Marketing ensure that you leverage the nuances of your local community to create impact, legacy and loyalty while achieving maximum efficiencies with marketing spends.
- Jane Hillsdon is a passionate award-winning marketer dedicated to showing small business owners how to do marketing that delivers results. As the Founder and Managing Director of a regionally based marketing agency; Dragonfly Marketing, Jane combines her extensive experience as a qualified marketing professional and her huge passion for building customer relationships, to help small business owners navigate the ever-changing world of marketing. Jane is strategic and creative in her thinking. She is a passionate advocate of the advantages and opportunities that marketing can offer businesses that are looking to make an impact in their industry. She is often the sole marketing resource for her small business clients and wears many hats with her technical skills. She has the in-depth knowledge of how the leading online and offline marketing channels work and as a result can provide marketing advice that drives results. Her positive and highly energetic mindset is balanced with a realistic and authentic approach to devising marketing strategies that identify and leverage opportunities for her clients to consistently succeed. Jane was awarded the Small Budget Marketing Award at the Australian Marketing Institute Awards for Marketing Excellence in 2017 and 2018. She was also awarded the Woman in Business Award at the Port Macquarie Chamber of Commerce Business Awards in 2014 and 2016. She has also been awarded the Woman in Business Award at the Port Macquarie Chamber of Commerce Business Awards in 2014 and 2016. Jane contributes a monthly column to Port Macquarie Focus Magazine called Business Minds and contributes articles about small business marketing to Smallville.com.au. She is a Certified Practicing Marketer and a judge for the Australian Marketing Institute Awards for Marketing Excellence. A working Mum, she lives with her husband and three children in regional NSW. Port Macquarie, New South Wales
- How to do Marketing will teach small business owner everything they need to know about creating and sustaining cost-effective, creative and measurable marketing strategies that deliver results.
Why this book is unique?
1. How to do Marketing is written by an award-winning marketer who has extensive experience providing creative and cost-effective marketing solutions to small businesses.
2. How to do Marketing shows small business owners how to effectively drive marketing tactics from a considered marketing strategy.
3. The book is easy to read and provides a comprehensive introduction to the foundations of effective small business marketing.
4. It is endorsed by existing, successful small business owners
5. It has been specifically designed and illustrated to help engage readers in the content and help inspire creativity.
How To Do Marketing is for ambitious small business owners who have businesses based regionally.
Their individual businesses have anywhere between 5 and 20 employees and they turn over between $1.5 and $2 million a year.
To date they have experienced organic growth and have attempted to run their own marketing tactics, often sporadically and without strategic direction. They have solid, viable and established businesses and they are smart operators.
They recognise that competitive forces are increasing in their local towns as national enterprises such as Bunnings, etc. come in and drench the town with big marketing budgets, nationally recognised brand names and cheaper price points.
They also fear the threat of their local customers now having access to the whole world to find solutions to their problems.
They know something needs to change. Most of these business owners understanding of marketing is limited to tactics (e.g. Facebook, website, print advertising, etc.). As a result of having not done marketing properly in the past – combined with their limited understanding of how marketing actually works – they now perceive marketing is a cost and are fearful of the investment in case it does not ‘work’.
They know only too well that operating a business in a regional town is very different to running one in a metro city.
These small business owners are passionate about building the capacity of regional Australia. They enjoy the benefits that owning a business in a regional area has to offer in terms of lifestyle and they want to protect this.
They are ambitious, capable and driven to build sustainability in regional development. Local businesses employ local people, support local charities and contribute to building sustainable local economies that help our nation thrive.
Paid media channel promotion:
• Print advertising in local media (Port Macquarie) – May & July 2019
• A Facebook Advertising campaign will target small business owners based in major regional centres of NSW, QLD, TAS, ACT and VIC.
Owned media channel promotion
• Promotion via Dragonfly Marketing Newsletter (approx. 620 subscribers)
• Promotion via LinkedIn profile (approx. 1,600 connections)
• Promotion via Dragonfly Marketing Facebook page (approx. 1,350 followers)
• Promotion via Jane Hillsdon and Miss Bossy Boots Instagram page – approx. 1,500 followers)
• Promotion via owned business Facebook & LinkedIn groups (approx. 1,500 members in total)
Earned Media Channel Promotion
• Promotion via Podcast appearances (Podcasts that I’ll pitch to: ‘Tradies in Business, Beers, Blokes & Business, herBusiness, The Fizzle Show Podcast, FlyingSolo, Business Addicts, Beach Business Breakfast Show, Business over Breakfast, My Business Podcast, MarCast (Marketing Magazine),
• Media release with book details sent to Business Chicks, Flying Solo, SmartCompany.
Google Preview content