Search by keywords
Bulk search by ISBN
- Art, Music, Design and Photography
- Autism and Aspergers
- Biography and True Stories
- Business and Finance
- Children, Teenage and Educational
- Clinical Psychology
- Computing and IT
- Earth Sciences
- Health and Personal Development
- Lifestyle, Sport and Leisure
- Literature and Literary Studies
- Mathematics and Science
- Society and Social Sciences
- Technology, Engineering, Agriculture
The Chinese Labour Corps and the Chinese Anzacs in the Great War
- ISBN-13: 9781925927238
Imprint: WILKINSON PUBLISHING
- Author: Davies, Will Dr.
- Price: AUD 29.99
- Stock: 81 in stock
- Availability: Order will be despatched as soon as possible.
- Local release date: 18/03/2020
- Format: Paperback (234mm X 153mm) Weight: 360g
- Categories: Humanities [H]History [HB]Military history [HBW]First World War [HBWN]
- The Forgotten explores an often-overlooked part of Australia’s rich and diverse history – the service and sacrifice of the Chinese Labour Corps who worked under the British and French on the Western Front during the First World War. It puts the story of the Chinese Labour Corps into the broader history of China’s encounters with western European nations since the 1700s. A part of that story includes the large numbers of Chinese people who immigrated to Australia during this period. It was the sons, grandsons, and great-grandsons of these Chinese settlers who volunteered to fight for Australia during the First World War. Those men are the Chinese Anzacs. The Forgotten celebrates the shared history between China and Australia and the combined efforts to promote peace.
- Following his graduation in 1972, Will Davies entered the Australian film industry and spent the next 37 years working as an independent producer of mainly historical documentaries and series for the ABC and SBS. He retired in 2010. He began writing books with the first published in 2012 and to date has had ten books published. He was a member of the NSW Anzac Council, leads battlefield tours to the Western Front and has served on a number of boards. In 2018 he was awarded a Ph.D from the ANU and among other projects, is working to build a war memorial school in the French village of Pozieres.
- * Dual language editon; English and Chinese. * The Chinese Labour Corps and Chinese Anzacs are a forgotten chapter in Australian history; the changing population mix in Australia, the growing importance of China as Australia's major trading partner, and the increasing number of Chinese migrants and tourists combine to create a need for a better understanding of the historical links between the two nations covered in The Forgotten. * Written to be easily read and digested, it's directed at younger generations, Chinese-Australians, hesitant readers or those interested in reading about lesser known stories from WWI. Perfect for schools, libraries, war memorials etc. * Planned launch events at the Chinese Museum in Melbourne and the War Memorial in Canberra.
- Google Preview content