From the Publisher of Australian Bush Pubs, comes a stunning review of the historic watering holes of New South Wales. Historic Pubs of New South Wales is an eclectic collection of 25 of the state’s historic watering holes, featuring over 50 stunning full colour photographs and showcasing the irrepressible character and a glimpse into the uniqueness of these long-lived establishments. The book portrays a short history of each establishment along with any particular aspects, such as happenings and famous patrons.
There are city hotels, like the Lord Nelson Hotel in Sydney’s The Rocks through to more remote outposts such as the Mount Hope Hotel in the state’s western districts. New South Wales’ oldest continuously licensed hotel is also revealed.
Historic Pubs of New South Wales would be a treasured gift for anyone who enjoys a quiet beer.
Craig Lewis from Boiling Billy Publications is the author of numerous Australia books, including a full series of Camping and 4WD Guides, as well as the perennial favourite Australian Bush Pubs. He has been travelling, camping out, photographing and writing about his adventures for more than 20 years and now lives in the New South Wales High Country.
Simon Punch is a keen surfer and photographer and lives on the New South Wales South Coast with his wife and growing family. He is also the author of Surfing New South Wales – the essential guide for the travelling surfer.
- The earliest Australian hotel licensing records date from 1798, only a decade after the First Fleet’s arrival at Botany Bay.
- This is an eclectic selection of iconic historic drinking spots in New South Wales that you can still plan to visit and enjoy a drink in today.
- Delve into the history (chequered for many) of some of Australia’s longest liquor license holding establishments such as:
Fortune of War, The Rocks c. 1828
Settlers Arms Inn, St Albans c. 1836
Burshranger Hotel, Collector c. 1860
- Partly history book, partly guide and partly photographic journey.
- A beautiful coffee-table book that makes a wonderful gift for visitor and resident alike!