Two survivors, three lost lives. The true story of a long-prepared ambush by religiously motivated conspiracy theorists. Grappling with a dangerous conspiratorial worldview, Gareth, Nathaniel and Stacey Train carry out one of Australia’s most horrific ambush attacks.
Disillusion, paranoia, isolation collides violently with distrust of government and the outside world in Central Queensland. John Kerr has taken time and care to intimately research the lives of Nathan, Gareth and Stacey Train to help readers make some sense of what happened that day and why. With an incoherent mash-up of Apocalyptic Christianity, the Sovereign Citizen Movement, doomsday preppers mentality, anti-vax conspiracy theories and a withdrawal from normal society, The Wieambilla Shootings chronicles the trios descent.
John Kerr is a bestselling author, book seller, editor, and publisher. Having worked as a police and court reporter, in recent years John has become one of Australia’s leading writers on crime. His 2022 book, The Big Folbigg Mistake, was a critical success and helped drawn attention to the terrible miscarriage of justice Kathleen Folbigg suffered resulting from the judiciary’s ignorant dismissal of top scientific evidence.
* The Wieambilla Shootings provides a reckoning as to what happened on 12 December 2022 when four young police officers made a welfare check on a bush block and walked into a deadly ambush.
* Constables Rachel McCrow and Matthew Arnold and neighbor Alan Dare were shot to their deaths at the hands of the residents of that bush block -brothers Nathaniel and Gareth Train and Gareth’s wife Stacey.
* How did this evil action happen? No-one knows. The Wieambilla Shootings is what we do know.
* The book assembles all that is known about the lives of the three killers. Introduced to the idea of the Christian apocalypse in their early years, the Trains came to embrace the sovereign-citizen movement and pick from the doomsday preppers online to form an incoherent right-to-kill point of view.
* The book will be available before the 12 December anniversary and will generate strong media interest. John will be able to build on media momentum following publication of his critically successful book The Big Folbigg Mistake (9781875703524) in 2022.