Sword and Baton Vol 1: Federation - 1939
Senior Australian Army Officers from Federation to 2001
- ISBN-13: 9781925520309
- Publisher/Imprint: BIG SKY PUBLISHING
- Author: Chadwick, Justin
- Price: AUD 34.99
- Stock: 538 in stock
- Availability: Order will be despatched as soon as possible.
- Local release date: 06/03/2017
- Format: Hardback (232mm X 155mm) 360 pages Weight: 1100g
- Categories: Military history [HBW]Australia [1MBF]
Sword and Baton is a collection of 86 biographies representing every Australian Army officer to reach the rank of major general from Federation to the outbreak of World War II. This is the first of two volumes, and its scope is broad, including chaplains-general, surgeons-general and British Army officers who served with the AIF or the permanent forces.Author Justin Chadwick portrayal of these officers careers provides a lens through which he examines trends such as the development of military skills which ensured that, by the commencement of hostilities in 1914, Australia boasted a pool of well-trained, albeit inexperienced officers. The effects of command under pressure of war and the enormous physical impact of combat are likewise portrayed in these comprehensive biographies. By the end of hostilities Australian officers had garnered immense experience and were among the best in the Allied forces. Ironically, this hard-won skill base was to be all but lost in the interwar period. Sword and Baton offers its readers more than a series of biographies. Rather, it describes a crucial period in Australian military history through the lives of the extraordinary men at its head.
• First comprehensive work of Biographies of Senior Australian Army Officers from 1901 to 2001 • A two volume reference book with volume two coming out in 2018 • National PR campaign targeting Australia’s leading Military – History Magazines and Journals – physical and online. • Advertised in trade publications – InCite Magazine, Good Reading and B+P Magazine.
• Mainstream Capital City newspaper book reviews and ABC local and
- Google Preview content