Woodslane Online Catalogues
Racing Humpy Holdens
The 48-215's Golden Decade and LegacyWith insights from Spencer Martin, Barry Seton and Others
- Joel introduces us to the 48-215, the Humpy, and describes how this modest car, designed for a particular time and place, burst the boundaries of its expectations. He tells the tale of how it became a much-loved road car, for a decade a fearsomely competitive racing car, and ultimately a definitive model Holden that helped define Australian culture and history. There is a touch of the miraculous about this story: a simple car that broke its boundaries to define a motoring era, and a bunch of mates that built a racing car on a shoestring but through hard work, skill and sheer nerve still reached the pinnacle of their sport.
- Joel Wakely has worked with and been around cars almost his entire life, owning several significant and very rare models. These include the ‘Boomerang’ 48-215 that his team (Spencer Martin, Barry Seton, Bob Gray and himself) raced with dominating success during the 1962-64 Appendix J touring car seasons, and is a major focus of this book. Joel has previously written four popular books for Woodslane Press, including The Passion for Holden.
- THE AUTHOR
1. THE BIRTH OF THE 48-215
2. TEN SUPERLATIVE EXAMPLES
3. ENGINEERING A RACING 48-215
4. HUMPY RACING IN THE 1950s
5. INTO THE ‘60s: APPENDIX J RACING
6. THE GREAT 48-215 RACING CIRCUITS
7. THE GREAT 48-215 RACING DRIVERS
8. TEAM BOOMERANG
9. OUR GOLDEN YEARS OF RACING
10. WHAT CAME NEXT
11. KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS AND SOURCE MATERIAL
- * Intimate and passionate profile of arguably Australia's most important saloon racing car.
* Releasing to coincide with the launch of 3 replica racing Humpies, including his.
* Releasing to coincide with an ABC documentary on the replicas and 48-215 racing.
Google Preview content